Monday, November 24, 2008

And there it goes

I called Hyeseun in a panic today after meeting with the head of the Traditional Korea Paper Artists Association and the head of KasamKorea. My aunt (my hero...she knows EVERYONE) introduced me today and suddenly I have all sorts of things to do immediately - events, interviews, dinner, shows, etc. I was given a deadline of Dec 17 to make a book out of hanji. A new list of books was thrown at me, all in Korean. My pile of assigned reading is growing and I haven't read any of it. But then Hyesun was like, "but isn't this what you want to be doing? Isn't this better than having nothing to show for your research?" And I suppose she's right. Even though all I want to do is curl up with my book in English and Ojibwe and read things like
"I'm losing," Agnes muttered. "You tricked me, old man."
"Me!" said Nanapush. "You've been tricking everybody! Still, that is what your spirits instructed you to do, so you must do it. You spirits must be powerful to require such a sacrifice."
"Yes," said Agnes, "my spirits are very strong, very demanding, very annoying."
Nanapush nodded in sympathy.
"Check," the old man said.

--Louise Erdrich, The Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horse

No comments: