Wednesday, February 24, 2021

A bit too fast, going backwards

Velma tried to remind me to sleep and rest so that my soul can catch up to my body and get reacquainted. I've failed miserably at that, so extremely busy since leaving quarantine, so I will recap a week in Seoul in bits because I would have liked to go to bed hours ago but am not yet packed for my next trip early tomorrow morning!


Food with family, and this family saved my life during quarantine with food drops, calls, and generally making sure I knew they had my back.
Food by family (my cousin runs a takeout place in a very hip neighborhood that is brand new since my last visit). I completely overate this day but was extremely happy to finally see my family in person.
Gwangjang Market was was PACKED and full of food that I would have loved to eat but we were on an errand and were going to eat elsewhere. Little to no social distancing but a relic of the joy of the Before Times when it comes to eating at a food market.
Air quality is horrid because of the fine dust, the sky not quite clear because of that. One big palace, did a walk through to get to the other side of the compound on a day that was probably near 60 degrees F.
As I wandered through neighborhoods I could see how they had changed but also could see where I could discern the old outline that I remembered.
The big temple, Jogyesa, very close to my digs. Thanks to Youngmin for the hotel rec!
Vegan in the neighborhood, which is nearly empty in comparison to how it was, because of no tourists and so on. Still way more going on than back home, but this area has changed a lot...not for the best.
Café offerings after a fabulous dinner with an old friend and new friend the day after I escaped quarantine.
I usually see elderly folks squatting but there are always exceptions.
The underground but now released stream, where I walked to get a break from the cityscape up top on my first big day out alone, reminding my body how to walk. So much to share but must sleep! Next post will be from down south.

2 comments:

Velma Bolyard said...

I'm reminded of a character in a children's book who showed up at the weirdest times screaming HUNGRY! and why do you see people squatting? or rather, why do mostly elders squat? resting? reading? obstructing foot traffic? looking for spiders? so glad you're on your way south!

aimee said...

to rest, squatting takes a load off instead of standing while waiting for the light to change.

south now but traveling east soon!