Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Tools tools tools

Weather has been the driving force for this entire trip: inclement weather that was predicted forced me to change my flight earlier (which meant I packed in a last minute haze that left a few things behind unintentionally), and it has been cold (which makes me want to curl up and sleep). But class went well over the weekend with a nice group and then I was free to start research interviews for my toolmaker book. Yesterday morning I met Serge Picard, a Belgian mould maker who has inherited Ron MacDonald's amazing loom for backings and facings of English moulds in the Amies tradition. He was delivering a wove and laid mould each to donate to the Hand Papermaking auction this spring! I was astounded by his generosity.
Tatiana was kind enough to let me sit in on this meeting at Dieu Donne's new location at the Brooklyn Navy Yard so it was an adventure to get there and look around. Still a big work in progress, with concrete drilling going on during the entire day. Here she is with Serge, looking at a huge Tim Moore mould. She let me transcribe my notes after he left to visit Carriage House and I was amazed by how quickly the time went. I needed to head back to Manhattan and way uptown for my next meeting, but managed to navigate with her excellent directions.
Jeff Peachey had moved since the last time I visited his studio several years ago. I knew I absolutely needed to spend time with him for this book even though I am focusing on papermaking toolmakers and he makes book tools, because he is the Tool Guy. The real deal.
He showed me so many things and shared so much knowledge that I'm positive that most of it has fallen out of my head because of the sheer quantity and depth of it all. But I was really happy to hang out for five hours (eventually moving to dinner) and be schooled in a way that reminds me how fortunate I am to be working on this project.
This was part of the journey home at night. I was very happy to be free of meetings today during the snow and wind but tomorrow I head out again for family stuff. Still need to write up a ton of notes and get back to the regular work as well, but excited about what's to come, including another interview this week before the flight home.

No comments: