Wednesday, March 08, 2017

Standing

While avoiding admin on Monday afternoon, made this wee one.
On Tuesday, I went back to think[box] to work with a great volunteer, John, who helped me solder my copper stands. I spent the evening sanding each one by hand.
Otherwise, they would have looked like this (which is okay in some situations, but once I got home and started sanding, I preferred a more refined finish).
Voila! Of course there are things I still want to tweak, and I will return tomorrow if I am prepared enough for NY to use up the last bits of copper so I have the maximum number of stands possible. It only took 7 months to figure out the solution, but now I know how! Which made it very satisfying to read Barbara Kingsolver's Animal Dreams where Loyd says,
“The important thing isn’t the house. It’s the ability to make it. You carry that in your brain and in your hands, wherever you go."
and also,
"Once you know how, you can always do that, no matter what. You won’t forget."
Oberlin's communications office did a fun project in January, traveling campus to document all the things people were doing during Winter Term. If you scroll down to 10:20am, you'll see my hands teaching a book structure; at 10:50pm and later, you'll see a former student marbling.

My paper dress show is doing well, with consistent sales—so gratifying! Here is a post from one of the companies that made a pattern that I used. Now, back to admin.

1 comment:

Velma Bolyard said...

wonderful!!! all of it.