Friday, February 10, 2023

Injury and recognition

I was been trying hard to only share positive things but this week has been a dud. This was my weekend sewing, a recycling of an older piece. The recycling in this case went well and I didn't stab myself THAT many times with the needle (plus I had a thimble).
Last week was great because I got to make hanji, and then I finally was able to finish making a makeshift deckle box for the dregs. It took a couple days but in the end I am so satisfied.
A sheet of paper, instead of a tiny pulp wad to put in the fridge to stink up until the next batch! But this week I tried to run my beater and it was utter and abject failure. Not only does there seem to be a short messing with the motor, it is leaking enough to warrant taking apart to replace seals, the roll needs to be refinished because it's flaking bad stuff, and I have to open the lid because I clogged it completely with rag.
Michelle helped me for hours and I was distraught by the series of everything going wrong, so I tried to work in the evening. I started to take apart an old piece of art that I thought was bad and then sliced my finger open with a seam ripper and bled all over it. It was like the Red Sea in the kitchen sink once I managed to get there without dripping blood on the way.

However, I promise to close with better news: Lisa Haque wrote about me for the Hall of Papermaking Champions. I'm the youngest thus far and with this new class, the first of two papermakers of color acknowledged, alongside Paul Wong. Thanks to NAPH membership and the committee for the honor!

No comments: