Saturday, February 12, 2022

New team-taught class: Hanji and Washi

Here is Diana at the hanji vat several years at Ox-Bow, the first time we met (I had her assist me at Penland years later). I am very excited about a brand-new class that I will be teaching in August with Tatiana at Dieu Donné in NYC. Forever during my hanji life, people ask, "How is Korean paper different from Japanese?" Aside from the racist under/overtones of conflating the two, I have never been able to physically show the difference in the formation in one location. That changes this summer!

We'll prep tons of fiber and then split it into two vats, a Korean and a Japanese, and Tatiana and I will be able to show directly, in one studio, obvious and subtle differences. It's the kind of class that gets me eager to teach, and that kind of class that is very necessary but incredibly rare (and hopefully not a one-off). Geared towards papermakers who want to have a comparative experience with folks who have trained in the countries of origin of these techniques.

Diana Benavidez

Tatiana Ginsberg

Dieu Donné class (register now as I am guessing it will sell out very quickly)

No comments: