Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Double header: a new pot!

I got fired up a couple weeks ago and started a new pot to try and match a lid I made in Virginia last summer.
You can't see it here (but you can later) that I added folded spokes so that I'd have less trimming on the inside of the base.
Turning up the sides to start the foot.
Bottom
On the other side
Starting the body
I know, lopsided center but I just kept going
View from the outside




Okay, this is another day (you can see it was nighttime in the other shots under a desk lamp). I had to concentrate more to do the handles properly. Even though I knew that each arm was not the same length, I went ahead with lopsided handles. I mean, why not? Remember Arachne?
Hands on hips!
This goes to show how messy it gets as you decrease and feel simultaneously excited to be getting closer to the end but annoyed by how there's less space for all of the bits.
Was not happy about how flat the top was but was also not interested in going back to rip it out.
The weavers are still on the piece, which you can see like noodles, and this lid clearly...
...is too small for this pot!!
So, even though my hands were on fire and very unhappy (thank goodness that arthritis gel is now available over the counter), I started a new lid. Which I didn't document because I was so unhappy about having to do that the entire time.
Until I finished it! Because this is the right lid for this pot. I don't know what to do with the other lid, because truly the lid follows the pot. But it's such a nice little lid. Someday I'll sort it out.
The best part was when I coated with methylcellulose: I forgot that I could block this sucker and fix the flat top! Glory be! I was elated as I sculpted it wet. Truly, it looked exactly like I was working with clay.
Yeah, still lopsided in there, and the handles are not perfect.
But it all comes together and feels exactly perfect to me now!
I was tempted to dye but will leave it alone for now because it's better to do what a friend suggested: make a new one and dye THAT one. My hands are screaming.

No comments: