Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Follow the leader

Who, in this case, is Velma. A mix of hanji, spun and knitted + lokta paper, the same. Almost all things I learned from her: spinning on a bobbin winder, using the Hedi Kyle slip & slide binding. The purple-y hanji is thigh spun. I've been making a very orderly list of things to do for the next four days. Two days of prep, and two days of travel, and one day of teaching. They're all mixed together and hopefully will become a beautiful visit to Providence.

2 comments:

Velma Bolyard said...

me, the leader? i love it, because i'm usually hiding out at the end! grin. look out providence, here she comes!

Alisa said...

Hi Aimee,
While Hedi Kyle has created many wonderful structures, if I am not mistaken, I believe the structure you are using and referring to here is "Slot and Tab" invented by Michael Budiansky, which I documented in Creating Handmade Books in 1997 (and included again in Making Handmade Books in 2011). I have also successfully used it with cloth and wrote a blog post about it: http://makinghandmadebooks.blogspot.com/2011/04/cloth-book.html

Sincerely,
Alisa Golden

P.S. I did see that Velma used it for her woven book on her blog as well. Also, 17 years ago, when I started teaching it, some people did start referring to it as "slip and slide" but I discouraged that as that name is trademarked for a toy.