Saturday, June 02, 2012

After one too many donuts

This is how far the pot has gotten. It will be interesting to see how the rest comes down since I am using thicker weavers on the outside layer than the inside layer. It won't look as refined but I know this batch of cords was more consistent and comes from the same fiber. The whole inside took up the last of the cords I had made in 2010 in Belfast. The outside will be from cords I made here. I had a big talk yesterday with Agnès about the pain. She said I have to stop, and that I don't have to answer to my teacher in Korea anymore. I said I wanted to know if I could do this by myself, and though it has indeed been bad for my body, it has been good for my self-confidence. At some point, with almost everything I have done and loved to do, I had to decide if I was going to continue. Isn't everything in life like that anyway? Being on the computer will probably wreck my body as much as any other practice that I have.
[A studio snapshot. I realized that Melissa's test piece would do best hanging out with my blue piece so they are having a conversation right now. Hers is the narrow one below the green blobs. Check out her website for more!!] I like all the new residents and we had our orientation today over donuts. It's a super diverse group in terms of the kind of work we do and I'm excited for the month ahead.
This is also one of Melissa's gifts to me, her rain paper (flax/abaca). I'm pondering what comes next. I am taking a break today from weaving though I did still practice some violin this morning. It's hard to know that the things I love to do are hard on my body but I don't know what the answer is. For now, I just rotate everything so I don't do any one thing too much. I wrote about this in my book, about how our bodies adjust and change based on the things we repeat, and also about how difficult it is to take up a new craft or technique later in life ("later" meaning after adolescence). Since I have no answers and I'm in a bit of a sugar coma, I'm going to lay down for a bit before we go out to visit galleries this afternoon.

2 comments:

TK said...

I know this is going to sound impossible to you, but the answer is probably to do everything in moderation. Sometimes my hands hurt after knitting for a long time, but I can't stop because I'm soooo close! But then that makes my shoulders hurt, and then my neck. I know I've gone too far if I get a headache from clenching my teeth. Nothing we enjoy should make us clench our teeth! So, I try to take short breaks when I can to stretch out. You have so many things you pack into one day, maybe doing each of those things for shorter bursts of time would help with some of the pain?

aimee said...

you're right, absolutely! and i know i should already know this. but i guess i keep forgetting. thanks for the reminder; i decided to to exactly what you said so you are reinforcing the decision to do bit by bit!