Monday, April 06, 2009

"To enjoy fully"

I learned the word for that today in my last Korean session before the national proficiency test (in two weeks; but I will miss next week b/c I will be on an island in a conference). I've already forgotten the word, but my teacher taught it to me to say, "don't worry about how much/little time you have left in Korea, just enjoy it." I had been telling her that I finally feel like I'm in a good place, acclimated, and love my life here. It really is once in a lifetime, at least for now, and I was sad about how soon it has to end just as I've gotten to the point where I can run errands just as quickly as I could back home (today I hit the post office and bank before class and overestimated how long it would take).

Thank goodness I finished my cords early! My teacher called me tonight to change our lesson to tomorrow! Which is good timing, b/c it will give me two "free" days in a row to prep for my lectures.

Tonight, along with Michael, Dongjae, and Ji Min, I met another hanji artist who is a professor at Sangmyung University. She was fantastic: smart, funny, sharp, no nonsense, generous. We will accompany her in a couple of weeks to an opening of a show that she is in. Afterwards, we debriefed at Mister Donut, now that Michael has gotten me hooked into the craving.

Today, I talked to Ching-In for the first time in ten months (has it really been that long?!), which was such a comfort. She's taking a creative writing pedagogy class, and they had a great assignment: to be the worst workshop leader ever. She did things like email one person in the class badmouthing everyone else and "accidentally" cc-ing the rest of the class, then sent another email to say, "oh, disregard that last message." She also wrote the worst syllabus ever, and I'm pretty sure it was all submitted last minute to the students, too. I LOVE this idea.

No comments: