Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Between class and cramming

[Ads near where I live.] I'm still adjusting to the M-F grind and the sitting in plastic chairs attached to tiny desks with name placards classroom life. Yeech. Even though I'm bored by how slow the rest of the class is w/speaking, I somehow always have tons and tons of homework to do writing-wise and workbook-wise and I still suck at it.

[On the corner near home.] But at least the students are nice, even though I feel completely disconnected from them. I'm thankful that I'm in the "regular" program, though, and not the summer intensive mostly for American-born Koreans, b/c then I'd feel reallllly out of my generation. The Americans in my class are more willing to learn while the Chinese and Japanese ones are the slackers (though this is probably more about age and inability for some people to wake up and function in the morning).

[See the tiny people playing soccer?] I think I should stop taking melatonin now, but I REALLY have enjoyed it. For the first time in years and years and years, I just lay down on my bed, close my eyes, and fall asleep. What a concept!! My dreams have been out of control but I haven't been with it enough to record them. Our reading teacher told us today that the monsoon season has changed a LOT in Korea. Thanks, global warming. I wonder if that means the dreadful summers of Korea are now only a memory...I doubt it. I'm sure it will be brutal in a different way.

[the fence that keeps people from bum rushing the soccer field.] Did I say that it was great to see my family on Sunday? The combined child count was five but it felt like five hundred. I can't believe how tiring it is to just be around them. But now all my gifts are out of my hands! Yay for lighter bags.

[this sign says not to smoke b/c a school is nearby.] I realized the other day that I'm still operating at warp speed and haven't had any really good rest/down time. Right now, I feel totally scattered - I'm standing at a 5th floor computer terminal and have to go up to the 6th to get my books from my locker so I can do my homework (boring). I have no idea what is going on b/c I just feel so weird standing at a screen that is embedded into a metal sheet and completely perpendicular to the floor.

No comments: