Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Home almost all day

Ambassador Kathleen Stephens gave tonight's keynote speech at the National Press Club for the annual general meeting of the Korea Fulbright Alumni Association. I gave my camera to someone to shoot the group photo but sadly he decided to just shoot half of the group, which excluded most of us researchers.

I wore this necklace that my cousin's wife had made and given to me. She works in glass - that's what the bird is made out of. I love it but of course the name tag covered it up.

Luckily, the meeting was my only outdoor activity slated for today, so I had lots of time at home before I ran out to cross the river and do my duty. I decided last night to type all of my Korean notes from tutoring (starting in September) into my computer. I'm too far along to stop, but not far enough to want to continue. It's HARD to copy notes like this b/c it's in two different languages and I draw lots of arrows and funny charts and use different colored pens. It better be worth the effort, b/c that's pretty much ALL I did today. Besides make myself hangover soup in the morning.

Last night, I stayed up late so that I could receive a phone call for my language exam to test how much better my Korean has gotten w/the aid of this language grant from the State Dept. I had to be available during Eastern Standard Time work hours, which translates to 11pm - 8am my time. Not very convenient. My cousin's wife and her friend were doing hilarious charades while I was taking my test so I had to turn my back to keep from laughing out loud. The questions were something like:

1. What are three things you shouldn't do in the library?
2. What are three things you always do before going to bed?
3. What kind of movies and actors do you like and why?
4. If you were to go to a deserted island, who would you take with you?
5. What do you think about the development of computers and the internet in the past 20 years?

I put up a fight on #3 and 4, but overall did pretty well. Way better than my initial test back in NY before I left for Korea. Which means I've gotten better at Korean. Hooray.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The photo of soup made me hungry...