Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Information from resistance

The final version is still not right, but its wonky self is what will end up in a suitcase. Hanji has arrived but hasn't yet made it to my doorstep, so hopefully tomorrow night I can start packing in earnest.
This is upside down but just as well. Milkweed and dogbane papers. I have been struggling lately with all kinds of normal human struggles and hope that this trip will knock me out of some of it. Like Dard Hunter said before his trip to Asia in 1933, “I rather dread the trip as it will be a hard, tedious one. It is necessary though as I am getting in a rut which is a bad thing and only a decided change and a certain amount of hardship will pull me out.”

Friday, October 07, 2016

Tick tock

The time is rushing down to my trip abroad. I still haven't sewed the buttons and buttonholes but this one is nearly done. SO many buttons in double breasted clothing!!
I did this one last night.
And this the night before, thinking of Therese, who provided all the beautiful paper (made and dyed) and even the dyed thread down the front. The button looks high but after fixing all the shoulders on these two new dresses, I don't feel like fixing button placement.

Tuesday, October 04, 2016

Pieces of peace

Tonight was our last weaving class and my piece came off the loom! Up close is the part where I used paper thread for the weft. The rest beyond that is what we learned.
I had my final appointment with a new specialist to get the last opinion about my health concern that was first diagnosed almost two years ago in Korea. A huge source of stress, emotional pain, and panic has run its course. It was so good to hear that I'm fine and don't have to do anything drastic. A friend said it has been weighing so heavily on me that it will take a while for the calm to sink in and the bad stuff to unravel. In the meantime, I've been treating myself to lots of goodies.
Tonight I knew I'd be able to finish my scarf, though I'm still not very good at basket weave. All I want to do is beat hard, so it's really not the best thing for me.
But once I was done, I had such fun ahead! I brought all sorts of paper thread that I've had laying around for years, and wove it all in. This made me very happy. Perfect timing!

Saturday, October 01, 2016

Facing south

I'm heading to Chile this month and feeling quite unprepared in terms of travel plans. I have agonized over this trip because I'm not a travel agent and am trying to mix business with vacation. But it's happening no matter what! So I'm busy weaving ducks and sewing paper while juggling applications, a sudden influx of board work, and studying (Spanish, paper history, etc.).
From the Hand Papermaking board retreat: intense, but great to hash things out in person. However, now there are hours of minutes to be transcribed.
Still trying to decide what to do with the newest duck: will I try suminagashi? Or leave it alone? Meanwhile, I need to make new brass stands for my little ducks. Full days ahead.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

To the top of the mountain

This was the view from our condos in Vail over the weekend. It was hailing when Alta and I drove in from Denver, and then it rained, and up top it snowed a bit.
The gondola ride to the mountaintop was warm and the views gorgeous, of course. I know the yellow of the aspens turning was brilliant, but it made me miss oranges and reds of eastern autumns.
Our board retreat for Hand Papermaking was very intense but also wonderful. It's always a treat to have dedicated time with other papermakers and people who really care about the field. There is so much work to do going forward, but this was a good way to get motivated as we face lots of transition.
Last night, I was still exhausted from the travel and being behind on sleep/work, so I got my floating selvedges on and only wove about 3 inches before I called it a night. I'll be back today for fresher eyes!

Wednesday, September 21, 2016


The nice thing about a class paced over a month is that there's time to get everything done without panic. Somewhere, I dropped a yarn because I ended up with an odd number. Oh! Now that I look at it I see where (at the end). A shame, because it would have been very easy to add last night. But these mistakes are good for the learning bank.
This new one got ahead of me and turned up a little too quickly, so it will be a bit of a short body. But that's okay. Hoping I can still shape it to not look too stumpy. I fly in less than two days for a working board weekend and spent all day doing homework—I left the house to do it, otherwise, I would have kept weaving!

Thursday, September 15, 2016

Priorities reshuffled

I just couldn't pry myself away from this one, even with so many deadlines looming.
Though I did make time yesterday to wind the white part of the warp and sley my reed.
I wrote in the morning but really had to stop because this one was calling, loudly!