Wednesday, June 26, 2013

One third

This floor perplexed me, a plastic coating on the carpet to protect it. I feel like I'm shrink wrapped but I did drop a container of PVA on the floor (it didn't open) and I was grateful for the protection. It doesn't look like it, but I am in lush Oregon, not far from Portland, teaching at the Focus on Book Arts Conference.




I am doing my best to pace myself more slowly this time, luxuriating in a 3-day workshop (rather than one or two). So everyone got a LOT of time to work with bark. I already learned a bunch in terms of people not being able to read my mind because we cooked in class and everyone rinsed their own bark. I forgot to tell them to keep it intact, but it's a good lesson for everyone. For me to be more clear in instruction, and for students to see how much bark falls apart even after just an hour of cooking.

The whole afternoon, almost, was devoted to cords. But I let up in the last half hour with some big sheet joomchi. I have a lovely group of ladies with varied degrees of separation (some I already knew, some were passing acquaintances from other chapters of my life, and so on). I have to say that having a fancy computer projection system is very exciting. I can pull together slideshows and show them instantly, or project handouts not available in person, or show movies when people are cording. But not tonight: time for dinner, and a conversation with book dealers.

2 comments:

mjc said...

Oooh, look at all that lovely bark. Hope you're getting some rest in!

Velma Bolyard said...

my reaction exactly, lovely bark.