Friday, September 19, 2008

Distraught

[My great uncle's ashes are in one of these drawers but I have no idea which one. It's not even labeled.] I have been so distracted by the current state of affairs back in the US that I forgot that I had a blog. I had horrible nightmares last night: I was in a class that Obama was teaching. I asked, "what if you don't win?" and he was very calm about it, as were all of the other students, who were all men. I then put my hands to my face and started crying, first just my body heaving, and then it all came out and I was practically screaming. No one seemed to understand why I was so shook up. Later, Obama's oldest daughter came to him with her birth certificate and asked why she had "Lazarus" as a middle name (amongst a few other middle names), and if he had wanted a son instead of a daughter.

It must have come from dinner and ice cream last night with Kelsey, who believes that the racists and idiots are the majority of the country, and that McCain will win. We also talked about our complete lack of faith in people. I mean, in people being able to do good rather than evil. She, a sociologist, and I, an artist, both think that people, given the opportunity to lie, cheat, and steal, will do those things. We both feel that the greatest shared human endeavor that we could participate in now is the complete eradication of our species. But since that's not going to happen, I need a new coping mechanism. Obviously, I've failed in the whole not reading the news business.

On the bright side, my written Korean is getting better! People keep touching my knitting on the subway w/o asking me and some student ran past me and pulled all my stitches off my needle, but at least the skein is getting smaller! Knitting thread takes much longer than paper. Today, I'm going to meet Lori's friend's daughter-in-law's sister, who is a ceramicist.

I also recommend listening to Josh Ritter's "Girl in the War."

No comments: