Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Turning Korean (or just turning into Paulette)

Finally! New eyes. I had the same lenses for about five years, so it is really nice to have new ones that aren't all scratched up. The prescription is (amazingly) the same, but they feel much stronger. I was lucky to have my mom's friend meet me near school and take me to the market and haggle with the salesperson. Otherwise, who knows how much I would have paid (though regardless, it would have been less than 1/2 the price I would have paid in the US). It was really nice to meet my mom's friend - she said it was like seeing my mom again b/c I resemble her. Tomorrow, I meet another family friend, which will also be nice. In the meantime, I'm in a crazy scheduling rush for 2009. I am trying to figure out when to return to the US, and thought I had to return early but I might not have to after shuffling dates for a show. It's so hard to know what I will want/need a year from now.

I just had my role play exam today, which I partially bombed by trying to improv a new line and not delivering. Oh well. I had lunch today w/a woman who went to college with my sister - she saw me last week and thought I was my sister. Very random that we're in the same place at the same time. I didn't make it to the opening, but am hoping to hit that museum on Friday afternoon. The weather has not been too oppressive this week, which has given me seemingly boundless energy.

Oh! And I met my language exchange partner today. She's just three years younger than me, and is a psych grad student. She seems really nice and also seems to have values similar to mine, which surprised me (things like not wanting to get married until she finishes school, and doing what she wants to do NOW so she doesn't regret it later). The funny thing is that I feel really weird speaking English to Korean people. Using it with her will be good practice for me, and she's already corrected my Korean a bunch so I'm hoping this will help fill in some of the gaps that classroom work isn't able to address.

2 comments:

TK said...

Those glasses are so great!

Anonymous said...

I agree! Like the new shape.