Saturday, May 08, 2010

A Carrickfergus afternoon

[The view of the Belfast Lough from Carrickfergus: you can see the big H&W cranes in the distance, marking where Belfast is.] Last night I stayed up WAY too late fighting w/Photoshop and my computer, both of them freezing up. I woke up feeling too funky to hit the studio, but Jeannie saved my day by explaining that the moon is in Pisces. Translation: it's okay to take it easy. I went up a couple blocks to the fruit stand and got good produce (why I was killing myself going 2 miles further to get more expensive produce for weeks, I have no idea. Well, I do. But now I know better). After cooking a good lunch, I finally brought a blanket down to the sofa, and lay down to rest my eyes.

I'm not sure if I actually napped, but when I got up, I felt restless. I didn't want to go to the studio, but didn't have it in me to hit north Belfast. After weighing Armagh vs. Carrickfergus, I decided on the latter: it's closer, tiny, and there was a train leaving in half an hour.

I grabbed an apple and ran to get the bus. It took 30 minutes and though I had no map or anything, it's such a tiny town that it was pretty easy to figure out which direction to go to find the castle (thank goodness I know the cardinal directions by the location of the sun; this is what I was using to guide me in Dublin yesterday, too). Here's a handful of photos.

The castle wasn't nearly as beautiful as all the water and the sun and the wind and the people outside playing in the water and sunning themselves on the basalt rocks around the castle and walking on the pier and fishing. I walked around St. Nicholas Church and the graveyard that surrounds it. Everything smelled and felt old. In the castle, it was the same deal: how to fight, how to protect, how to fortify, how to penetrate, how to escape, etc. After a couple of hours, I hopped a train back to Belfast and walked home. Easy peas, and now I feel less funky.

No comments: