Thursday, September 20, 2018

Long game

Now that my schedule is broken up into small pieces with teaching, PT, and all the pieces flying around, I don't have the stretches of time I usually like to have for making work. Yesterday afternoon I spent a while cutting up an square linen piece that I bought in 2010 in Northern Ireland that was clearly marked to eventually become nine napkins. I used it as a table cloth for years while waiting for a time when I'd actually be ready to cut the whole thing up. After weeks and months of wanting cloth napkins for my house, I realized they were here already! Just not in their final form.
Last night I took a Korean art fellow from the local museum out to dinner, and had a lot of beef for the first time in a long time (I've been off it for a while now for a bunch of reasons, mostly that my body is not really built for it). I had a hard time sleeping and even did some sleepwalking that I have no recollection of but saw the effects of (no injuries, just wide open windows). At 4-something, I worried about old things I hadn't worried about for a while. At 5am, I got up to start doing something. After doing some prep for my class tomorrow, I finally finished this dress! It had been in pieces for months and I'm relieved to finally have it done.
I still get scolded at PT about a lack of exercise, so I tried to walk at the local park nearby, only to find that there was a massive construction project that is going to pave and regrade walking paths. A sign would have been nice. I also wished I had a wheelbarrow so I could take this torn-up grass turf home to my yard, which has lots of languishing grass patches (probably because I never water anything).
The old duck is supervising the new duck birth. I am trying to take my time because, again, I get lots of scolding at PT about how my work wrecks my body. Also, things hurt! Lots of breaks. I forgot to share this lovely review that one of my book dealers wrote about my latest book, which is almost sold out. I've been so honored by the collections that have chosen to buy it, especially after hearing about a very special donor for one of the later copies.

Today is the start of a 3-day craft symposium in town!

No comments: