Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Teetering but hoping to land on the right side

Today, I finally let myself lay low. Most of my day has been spent in bed or in my room, though I did get a little outing today with Cobi for groceries, a taco truck, and the art store (I just came along for a change of pace, I didn't buy anything at any of those stops). I used up the rest of my silver ink for these. I like slowly whittling down my supplies because it means I can go home with less stuff.
Now that I finally know that this binding works with thin, flexible paper, I've been making them to use up paper. The idea is that if I get rid of lots of my paper stash now, I will feel less guilty about their presence looming in my mind as I transition back to computer work/editing my manuscript.
I also prepped a bunch of hanji yarn, again to use up very flawed large sheets (2 x 3 ft each), but also because I am knitting a third scarf.
This SO made my day, a sweet little letter written onto four hanji notecards from Korea, from my teacher's paper mill. Julie had visited Korea and asked me for places to buy hanji. I told her to visit my teacher's Seoul retail shop and also to visit my natural dyeing teacher's studio, and she was able to go to both! I don't know when I'll get to Korea next, but love being able to send friends and acquaintances (and strangers) to my teachers.
I was able to have three phone conversations with three women that I love in NYC, D.C., and Salt Lake City. While I keep working on my five-year plan, this morning I wrote out something about wanting to have a community in close physical proximity. I feel myself get jealous of people who have friends and family and neighbors that they can interact with regularly and turn to for help. I know those situations can be fraught and have their own downsides, but I think I'm at the point in my life where I need and want it. For now, I'm grateful for phone contact. But in the future, I'd love for it to turn into tea and treats, long walks, and laying in hammocks.

No comments: