Sunday, May 18, 2008

Mission accomplished

The talk was a success! I was surprised by how many people showed up, and overwhelmed by the amazing spread. If I had known how nice it would have been, I would have advertised that more actively. But I can't eat when I'm presenting, so I only ingested seltzer and jumbo strawberries. It was nice to see everyone else chow down, though. Ellie and I flipped a coin ("heads or wings" as she said, on an American quarter) to decide who went first. She started, and showed her work on textiles as well as prints on paper. I loved how she talked about having beasts who are not nice to birds in her imagery. In a classic small world story, it turned out that she had met Jami a week before she met me. I was impressed w/how attentive the audience was and only saw one person handling my work in a way that made me want to run over and pull it away. Overall, I didn't feel present at any time except when I was presenting, so I regret not talking to as many people as I would have liked. I even fell down on getting the info from a woman who lives near Morelia - she's building a house and starting a residency in Patzcuaro!! I will try to track her down since obviously she and Elizabeth should be talking. I was generally shocked that 1. so many nice people and friends came and 2. the fancy spread was half there b/c of me! Next time, I'll remember to have my business cards out on the table instead of inside my bag. But all in all, it was a really fantastic evening, and I'm super thankful to MGC for giving me the opportunity.

No comments: