Monday, February 11, 2008

The nicest package I've gotten this year!

Tam is brilliant. She knitted me these socks that I got in the mail today. Even the addressing was nice - she gave me a title. Something like "To the Amazing. . ." She's so good at making me feel good. Besides that, I spun some washi from my visit to Japan last year, got chalk all over the place, taught myself how to fold a new origami pocket, and sent out a bunch more mail art. Low key, but plenty for a very cold day. This morning, I finished typing out notes from the Sherman Alexie book I finished last night:
"I remember your mother when she was the best traditional dancer in the world," my father said. "Everyone wanted to call her sweetheart. But she only danced for me. That's how it was. She told me that every other step was just for me."

"But that's only half the dance," I said.

"Yeah," my father said. "She was keeping the rest for herself. Nobody can give everything away. It ain't healthy."

"You know," I said, "sometimes you sound like you ain't even real."

"What's real? I ain't interested in what's real. I'm interested in how things should be."
--From The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight In Heaven

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those socks are gorgeous (and look warm, too). Congrats on the Center for Book Arts page, it looks lovely as well!