Thursday, March 08, 2018

Hello, Fredonia!

I've been completely sidelined by sudden major projects that are all consuming, but wanted to share the joys of my trip last week to western New York. My entire drive, about 3 hours, was in heavy rain. But once I got there, I realized that was much better than what was to come: a real snow storm! The rain turned to sleet and then wet snow right about when Tim picked me up for dinner before the lecture.
He had to clean the car off after dinner to get us to the lecture hall (which is twice as big as what you see here). In the art program at Fredonia (part of the fine State University of New York system), they require students to attend the openings and talks by visiting artists, which is a great way to get bodies in the building, especially in inclement weather.
An Oberlin student 11 years ago drew a picture of me while lecturing. This Fredonia student did something similar (the duck is fun, right?). Very sweet.
Tim had to clear the car again after the lecture to get me back to my lodging. I was glad the next day that I didn't have to do anything or go anywhere until dinner. I worked until I got hungry and was not looking forward to how thick the snow blanket on my car would be. I couldn't deal with it without breakfast, so I waited until late afternoon to shovel (it wasn't that bad because I had plenty of time, the sun was out by then, and it had warmed up).
I walked on the street as the sidewalks were not cleared to get some tea and food on campus. That quiet in the morning after a snow dump is wonderful. Classes were cancelled because of power line and fallen tree damage, not because this region is unaccustomed to snow.
I walked over to the art building to see the renovated paper/print studio, which I had seen a few years back. I love their view of the trees and generally all the windows in the classrooms.
Now the beater has its own room, which helps a lot with noise. They'll get new filters soon for water, and have a new Reina drybox as well. Tim had a great tip for waterproof trays under and in the presses: dog kennel trays made of stainless steel! Nice size, good price. After poking around the art building, Tim introduced me to three art students who were going to lunch with me. They were smart and motivated, fun to sit with for a long leisurely meal.
After a great dinner with Peter, Barbara, and Tim (who did a fantastic job curating this show), we headed to the opening. This gallery is gorgeous and I feel so fortunate to be able to exhibit here, alongside friends and papermaking artists.
Bridget's work, all watermarked.
Tom's piece along the back wall, Peter's huge and thoughtful pieces on the long wall.
Another gallery shot, with Radha's books in the cases (along with my smallest dress).
I didn't take pictures until most everyone had cleared out (and didn't see the lovely spread outside the gallery until it was time to go! Guess who ate cookies for breakfast on the drive home the next day?). You can see my dresses and Tom's castings—he was generous enough to drive my work when he delivered his.
There was a lovely shelf for my ducks. I know they wanted more big ones, but those are going to another show next week in Michigan. I can't make them fast enough because my body says I have to pace myself.
I assumed that no one was going to come from out of town because of the weather, but Ani surprised me by coming down with her partner (they got a Subaru, so this was no big deal) from Buffalo. We met at Haystack a few summers back on a residency and she was there the entire time as I made my first batch of ducks. Her work is FABULOUS, and it was fun to catch up and hear what she was up to.
Peter alongside his work and me alongside mine. We had a great time at the opening and I was really happy to have made this trip. I wish all my work gigs could be like this, low stress and easy travel with so many friendly faces.

The show is great, so visit if you can!

1 comment:

Velma Bolyard said...

if it wasn't so far and so snowy, i even thought about doing a surprise trip!