Saturday, October 04, 2014

The brink

The bowl of rice is missing from the tray that has the dollar bill, pencil, and string (we were waiting for a smaller bowl to place the rice grains). My niece turned one a few days ago and we celebrated with a feast that included a Korean doljabi ceremony: objects that signify various futures are placed in front of the baby, and the first thing she picks up seals her fate. Our family did a no-frills traditional grouping for wealth, smarts, long life, and never going hungry. When I was one, I picked the pencil. My sister picked thread. Her daughter went for the bowl of rice after a long and adorable Miss Universe-type production of smiling at the guests and taking her time choosing something.

I have not done everything I had hoped in this week between Cleveland and Seoul, but the baby time, family time, friend time, NYC time, and down time have been wonderful. Tomorrow I finish packing (and attempt to do and mail one app) before I swoop in to see the baby and head to the airport for a 1am flight. Not a fan of late flying, but it gives me the entire day to prepare. The next time I post, hopefully I will have more photos, I will definitely have jet lag, and I will be on the other side of the world. So long!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

happy birthday to your niece, thank you for sharing. lovely traditions and so nice that her auntie could be there. safe traveling, the best of luck with your research and studies. hugs :)

Velma Bolyard said...

keep on truckin'...right to the other side of the world. more or less.