Thursday, June 22, 2023

Hanji hanbok now and then

Since getting home this week, I've been in the studio every day sorting out how to hang my new art because it's the only place they will all fit. But the ceilings are high (13 ft or so) and the ladder is tall and heavy and I still have a bum hip, so each day I do a little, like these three, and then pack it in. But to do that requires a lot more than you'd imagine.

When I first made hanbok out of hanji (was it 8 years ago? Maybe less? I can't remember), it was also not easy to store. But they've exhibited a lot, which is great. I avoided making bigger ones until now because it's always a storage issue. Small dresses are an easy sale but the big ones are not. One of the earlier hanbok the same size as the black and white ones here, is in an exhibit at the Minnesota Center for Book Arts (right now they are in the middle of an opening).

There was a nice write up about the show and my work is featured. Grateful!

A private collector loaned another dress, Indigenous, to the show. And in relation to the original keepers of this land, thank goodness ICWA was not overturned.

1 comment:

herb and nora said...

Love this work, but also love your views into the everyday of the artist's life. How DO we store these things? How DO I want these individual things to read together? How DO I make small sellable things and also more time-consuming things? These are the dilemmas we all face, and it's great to see you making them visible. Thanks.