Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Survival skills

I was very bad at taking pictures this visit to Cleveland. If my camera was weightless and embedded into my hand, it would have been easier. But I was more interested in working, teaching, and spending time with friends. It was a great, whirlwind trip, and the workshop went well (pictures of it are on the Morgan's FB page). It was a cold second day--the weather was not kind to us, but my students did remarkably well despite the rain and gloom and chill. It was a surprise and honor to have people signed up who had either met me or studied with me last summer in Cleveland, and I finally have a better handle on how to teach jiseung so that students don't get completely confused and frustrated. Though I still have a loooong way to go!

I was also super lucky to have great interns, again, who helped with my class, my demo, and my artwork that I delivered for the summer show that will open at the Morgan in a few weeks. Stephanie and Margaret were the newbies, and Cameron gave a lot of time to my bricks even though he's working officially for the Morgan now on a million other things. Ben was a huge sport for driving out 7 hours or more and back to meet me and we got to see his friend in town a couple of times, so that worked out. The drive back was pure rain, and I am now hiding in a chain cafe to escape my new home. Sadly, the former tenants smoked indoors and the entire place reeks. These are the times when I wish I was not so sensitive and allergic to things, but at the same time, I'm grateful that I've made a life for myself that frames that characteristic positively, rather than as a weakness. In the grand scheme of things, I would have died long ago in the rat race, but I'm hoping I still get to do a few more things before it's all over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for visiting!