Saturday, April 02, 2011

The plant remedy

[Trying to figure out how things laying around will transform themselves.] Did I say plants? Maybe I meant chocolate. No, I meant plants. I had nightmares last night and woke determined to try and erase the bad vibes, so I started writing in the morning, got some verbal affirmation from the other coast, and when I finally finished a respectable task, I went out to the farmers market, which is always a sure bet when I'm feeling cranky. I was gravitating towards all of the vendors with plants, and had a nice conversation with Richard at Healing Spirit Plants. I was sad that I am never anywhere long enough to have plants but it's amazing how comforting they can be, even though we were under a giant highway in the middle of the city.

The sun and strolling were much needed, and I stopped at a natural foods store to get a brownie mix to get rid of sub-par walnuts. I mis-read the recipe and doubled the oil and water but they still turned out chocolate-y, which was the goal. I also noticed something funny when I was going thru reading notes to find a quote for a project I assigned to my students last week: I seem to only be interested in reading things about being alone. This project is a group one and I wanted to find something that referred to teamwork, but I was at a huge loss. So I'll just share a Dillard quote from Pilgrim at Tinker Creek that I just told to someone recently:
"Somewhere, and I can't find where, I read about an Eskimo hunter who asked the local missionary priest, "If I did not know about God and sin, would I go to hell?" "No," said the priest, "not if you did not know." "Then why," asked the Eskimo earnestly, "did you tell me?"

3 comments:

  1. yes i agree with the Eskimo, why mess with things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. delicious--both! and annie, sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The priests have changed the discourse in the last years! because even if you didn't know you go to hell..ja!

    and l'm always looking for wuotes about being outsider....

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting!