Friday, February 18, 2011

Simultaneous un/pack/ing

Carla snapped some pics during my lecture yesterday at the Denver Art Museum, which went very well. They're total pros, have fabulous and very active volunteers, and drew a handsome crowd. I hadn't really eaten properly in the morning and I've been gaining weight since I got the dress I wore for the event, so I was slightly out of it, but I still had a great time overall and enjoyed being able to see the museum afterwards, esp in Carla's company, since she had worked there for many years and had lots of stories to share about individual pieces. I was struck by how beautiful the Native American textiles, baskets, and ceramics were, and thought about how if we still made our own household objects, maybe we'd be less obsessed with shopping constantly for plastic or disposable or mass-produced junk. I realized how far I've traveled along the continuum of art v. craft (though both are pretty inadequate words, too).

All in all, I had a great time in Colorado and would absolutely love to return. The trip home was painful only because I was so outrageously tired, and I got back home past midnight just to turn around and teach today (the start of our letterpress unit! My students set type valiantly and I was impressed by how well they did). I have almost nothing to eat in the way of fresh food, so I'm hoping the heavy rain here subsides in time for me to grab groceries tomorrow. In the meantime, I've been re-packing my bags for next week's trip to NYC/Philly. Hey, why not? I was also inspired to keep working hard today after a talk with a colleague, and am slowly understanding why this environment is not ideal for making work. But I'm not giving up!

2 comments:

  1. i saw the landscape...and was instantly there. thank you for that. yay about the students!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for swinging by and leaving your contribution Aimee
    all the best
    india

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting!