Monday, December 27, 2010

Reviewing the divide

I'm unearthing things I read in preparation for my trip to Korea over two years ago and loved this one from East to America: Korean American Life Stories.
Out of curiosity I asked, "Which side are you on? Are you on the communist side, or are you on the side of democracy?" He said, "I don't know how to answer you, but let me put it this way. We are the grass, and one of you is a cow and one if you is a horse. What difference does it make which one eats us?" After a while I said, "That's a very good answer." I thanked him and went on my way. But that episode always stayed with me. I never asked another Korean peasant what side he was on.
--Young Kim, "Born to be a Soldier"

1 comment:

  1. you are doing so much prep work! good job!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting!