Saturday, April 03, 2010

Awake but not on time

[The back of the house area, with the oil tank for heat.] I usually only travel far enough for the time difference to be a few hours, or so far that you go from night to day and are completely flipped. But this five-hour difference is very strange. I didn't think it would be a problem at all, but I fell asleep last night only to wake up at midnight and stay awake for another 4 or 5 hours. I woke up and it was 1pm. Cruel! It took me a while to crawl out of bed and into the shower (and somehow I have two shower heads, both operational, which confounds me).

The sun from my "morning" disappeared quickly and after a meal at about 2:30 or 3pm, I went to get food before everything closes tomorrow for Easter. I tried the fruit market and the woman asked if I really wanted the zucchini b/c it was "quite dear" (I think about 3 USD). I said I had just gotten here so I would eventually find out what the proper prices of everything would be and she asked where I was from. She was surprised to hear New York b/c she expected somewhere much farther away. Something to that effect.

I'm now stocked with some more canned and dry foods so I feel a little less anxious about my food options. I was very tempted to take pictures in the supermarket but it was too busy and I already look so out of place, so I will save it for later.

It got very gloomy but now that I have some tea and crackers, I'm feeling much more myself. I think it's about time to sort thru the mess of my art supplies and materials to figure out what is going to the studio and what is staying here and so on.

I see "TO LET" signs all over the place and immediately assumed that the "I" was missing for "TOILET." I am so obsessed with all things invisible that my mind fills in blanks constantly. And, obviously, language here is different from back home.

2 comments:

  1. HA! over the 'to let' signs...I never thought of that.

    Yes, that particular 5 hour (6 1/2 between Chicago and London) jet lag is strange...and I hate to say it, but for me it was much worse coming back.

    The Highlands are much further north, but I wonder if you'll begin getting the white nights later on in your stay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, melissa is right the highlands--- let's go there! (note how i include us in that!)
    the signage was enjoyed by hannah, too.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting!