Sunday, September 13, 2009

Women, friends, yay

Today was gorgeous! I met Helena near her NYC digs and we got lunch to eat on the park along the Hudson River. I had been telling her about Barbara, my friend and teacher from 7th-12th grade. On our way to tea at Helena's place, waiting to cross the street, you guessed it: Barbara pulls up to the stop sign! I flagged her down and introduced them in the middle of the road. It was really quite amazing. Tea and company were wonderfully nourishing and it was a trip to see each other in NY after having only spent time together in Korea. She's going back soon, and I'm jealous. But I am also thrilled that she is spending more time there. Her insights and perspective are different from most everyone I know, so I love having her in my life and being able to connect in person when our paths cross.

Then, I rushed downtown (going from UWS to LES was less painful than I feared; I think the good mood helped. I'm also getting better at letting go of anxiety about being late once it's fully out of my control since trains don't fly) to go to Ching-In's reading. It was a sweet crowd and the best part was seeing Maria at the end! We went to a bar around the corner and got simultaneously acquainted and caught up - we've been in touch thru email for probably over a year now, and tonight was our first in-person meeting. She was the one I turned to when I got to Korea last year and was mercilessly thrown into the "you're not married?!" culture. We shared our grief and I was able to provide her with fresh material for her work, which she describes succinctly.

I do have to say, though, that coming home to that awful news about the woman at Yale was a buzzkill. Unspeakably sad.

1 comment:

  1. Aimee,
    I had no idea that you had a blog in addition to so many things! Wow. I am in love with all YOU DO!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting!