Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Death and life

My great uncle, Kim Dae-jung, former president of South Korea, passed away in Seoul on Tuesday (today but yesterday if you calculate it in Korean time). Three hours later, in the same hospital, my cousin's wife gave birth to their first son. We had been waiting for both of these events; KDJ was very ill in the hospital for a while and the baby was due this past weekend.

It's very strange to be so far from it all, getting ready to make a new piece while a park service worker is weed wacking outside. I won't be the family rep to go back and pay respects, but will be thinking of everyone in mourning and am relieved that he is at peace after working his whole life for it.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss - I read of his passing before I came to the blog, and the article contained a concise biography. The birth occurring in the same hospital a few hours later is just beautiful.
    Are you OK? I ask because I've spent three residencies now away from friends/ family after the deaths of people close to me...

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting!