Monday, July 20, 2009

Playing house

This is not far from where I am staying. I have no idea what it is.

I haven't seen pairs of ducks in I can't remember how long. These ducked right under the pier after I shot this, which is why they're not focused.

Sackets Harbor: the marina a little ways away from Ben's place.

Which would be here in these former barracks way back in the day,

as in these old days.

Today is my first day on my own, when I thought I'd get lots of work done, but instead I took three successive naps in the afternoon. So much for morning walks, cooking lunch, and cleaning! I obviously needed the rest. I'm amazed at how little jet lag I've experienced, but in my amazement, I didn't get enough sleep in my first week home. My new theory, based on an email from a cousin back in Seoul, is that I was so completely satisfied by my time in Korea that I didn't need to linger in its time zone. It reminds me of when I finished my undergrad work: though I loved my experience, I was ready to go and did not feel compelled to return right away after graduation.

This is a view from a big field behind the barracks - there was a lacrosse game during the weekend so nets are still up, but we had dinner out in the field while watching the sunset. I am not a beer drinker, but it is super nice to have a way better selection than the Hite, Cass, and Max in Korea.

I knew I had to get out for air today, though it was later than I had hoped, but once I got a glimpse of the water, dark blue and sparkly, I felt like I could breathe again. And I almost forgot: the opening of Textura was a great success last weekend in Seoul, despite the rain. Thanks to everyone who was able to make it out that night! It's up until August 16, so there's still time to make a visit and then eat pizza down the hill. Yum.

2 comments:

  1. It's too bad the ducks ducked at the last minute, it really quacked up the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA!! i had seen that i wrote that the ducks ducked and thought about editing it out but then i decided to leave it. i'm glad i did! b/c you gave me a good laugh.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting!