Friday, April 04, 2008

TGIF, kind of

[Theresa Hak Kyung Cha, Mouth to Mouth, 1975] I took a mental health day today. Well, kind of - I left work early to see the WACK! show at P.S.1 - it was soooo worth it. It made me think so much, it made me uncomfortable and angry and hot and awed, it surprised and challenged me...So many women laid groundwork for my own work; I've unwittingly done pieces that are almost identical to what was done in the 70s. I saw work by old faves that I've never seen, like Adrian Piper and Ana Mendieta, and by women I've never heard of, and so on. While looking at a piece, I heard noises and thought, "that sounds like Korean." I looked at a canvas and thought I heard French, and thought, "oh, I'm just mixing up Korean and French again" (I did this a lot when studying French in middle/high school). I tuned in carefully and turned around to see three video monitors. I got closer and thought, "it IS Korean!" Later, "it IS French!" Then I saw the tag: Theresa Hak Kyung Cha's Passages Paysages. It was beautiful, haunting. French, Korean, and English.

Then I headed to the studio to do more sanding and beveling but was mostly upset by the subway walk over - some fool said "ching chong" as I passed him and got onto a moving walkway. It didn't even register until a couple seconds later, and by then it was too late to respond. SO infuriating. At the studio, I talked with two other people who still don't know that "oriental" refers to objects, not people.

Anyhow. Once I got that all off of my chest, I had a really nice dinner at Angelica Kitchen w/my sister. The rice pudding with figs and toasted almonds was heavenly.

1 comment:

  1. I HATE how stupid people are... even if it does refer to objects and not people. i like that clarification. people who have brain cells should not use that word. especially if they are writing a review about a dance!
    you are lucky to be in nyc and can go to ps 122 and st marks church dance stuff. :(
    we found some older art of yours and went to ikea last night and put three things in a frame. :)

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting!