Saturday, October 06, 2007

It rained today

In the middle of "Babette's Feast," Marianne yelled up at us to go to the balcony to look outside. The rainbow was huge, and beautiful, and tripled. It was hilarious b/c there's only six of us, but no less than five were out taking pictures. Rainbow paparazzi. I've been feeling wonky all day and unable to focus properly. I cleaned up my studio since we have open studios and photo ops on Tuesday. All my paper is now laying out on a long table, and it stumps me. I feel like I can't focus on anything, and I get excited about ideas but then run out of steam. No staying power!

Time to open the polls: I have to decide by Monday if I will take a program assistant job at a nonprofit that grants artists big money/residencies, working for an old friend and coworker. It's 20-24 hours/week, from late October to late April. It means I can't leave NY for six months, and that I may have to forgo a residency I already have planned for 2008. Also, if I get any others, I will have to decline them. Thoughts?

6 comments:

  1. Sometimes, residencies will allow you to reschedule...

    ReplyDelete
  2. it might be good to get some cash... get more exp on the other side of the grant pool and be stable for 6 months. but remember that means living with the parents... or maybe you could find a house sitting/sublet on craigslist? ...and i like this idea that you could maybe reschedule your res. trust your gut or what you think you need... deborah hay always says "get what you need or what you think you need". i miss the western land of rainbows. all they have in texas is stray dogs and garage sales.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the rainbow photo.

    I think it is a great opportunity to earn some cash and make contacts. Most importantly, you can take some time out to relax and take care of yourself. You've been on the go for too long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say go for it! It's not a life sentence, it's just a PT job for a couple of months. It sounds like a lovely opportunity!

    Esp if you can reschedule the residencies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. like 400/wk before taxes? crunch the #s and see if the amt excites you + if the res lets you resched.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:14 PM

    Based on what you wrote in your email it sounds like it's already been decided. Including commute costs and time (especially time!) it doesn't sound like it's worth much. Add up all the hours you'd need to put into the job, including getting ready for work and commute and decompression, then you see how much you're REALLY getting paid per hour of your time. A little money is always nice to have, but you'd be committing a great deal of your time, energy, focus and freedom. That's probably worth more than a little money. IMHO.
    ~James~

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting!