Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Sedentary life

I'm a little ashamed of how little activity I've been engaged in lately. No more elevation excuses for being winded. Having late, lavish dinners with wine and dessert, and then waking up early to have enormous breakfasts don't help with the sluggish feeling. So I took a break today after finishing a very long written evaluation of the Mexico residency, and hopped into the jacuzzi. We switched rooms. Neither Kiwon nor I have used the tub yet, though.

I would have tonight but my hair is too short now to get away with sleeping on wet. I'm not alone, so I can't wake up with my hair standing straight up and out. I got a bunch of work out of the way, ostensibly to make room for tomorrow's Big Goal of writing serious stuff. Translation: I procrastinated heavily today. Good times. I also researched greywater systems and composting toilets. Earlier on the book arts listserv, they were talking about glue in the septic system, so I had been studying septic systems b/c I never really understood them.

I still feel guilty every time I flush the toilet here. It's really challenging to travel and also try to be ecologically sound. I hate seeing piles of overflowing paper towels in the wastebasket, and all the extra packaging, and all the cleaning they do for ONE night of using towels and linens. How do you live with a conscience, consistently, when you are in society? I'll put that aside until I get solid writing done. Then I'll reward myself w/more reading on the balcony.

3 comments:

  1. So amazing! Your life sounds UBER-glam! Love it.

    They were talking about greywater systems on the radio the other day, I'll look for a link to send you.

    And I feel you on the whole waste and packaging thing! It drives me crazy. Most people don't even pause to think about it. I don't know if it's ignorance or indifference, but it's sad either way. I'm glad you're talking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeez. Your life looks beautiful. Are you in New Haven? I'm so unable to keep up with your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. no, i'm in chautauqua. not for much longer; we drive back to new haven this afternoon.

    and i know! it's hard to be good ecologically when you are forced by the world you live in to be so bad. i am learning slowly also that not showering is fine to me, but that it doesn't work when people live and work in close proximity to each other. i forgot about that.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting!