Friday, June 29, 2007

Something akin to hope

Just a quickie before I dive into the inbox: today was another scorcher, and now I realize why the sun is so dangerous for me. Because I'm allergic to it! In doses this strong. I got to see Kiwon for lunch, almost died walking 20 blocks down 6th Avenue while running errands and ducking into stores for blasts of a/c, browsed pruning shears at neighborhood hardware stores (none were very good), and then almost passed out getting to the West Village on foot. I proceeded to spend two hours at Amy's Bread before Cindy showed up and we went to Caffe Vivaldi to meet Ivan and see Julie and Greg.

Their quartet, the Chiara Quartet, is in town briefly and did an amazing set tonight. More about that tomorrow...let's just say that they made me want to be the best person I could be, renewed my faith in art, pulled and tugged at all my fascia and major organs, championed exceptional contemporary compositions, and are pure love. They love music, each other, and the audience, and bring it all together in a remarkable way. Hell, they play chamber music in chambers!!! They also made me miss Nebraska like crazy.

Go see them tomorrow night if you can, in Brooklyn, at Rose.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe you should pack a burka to protect you from the sun in Mexico.... you know they make burkinis- I kid you not! http://www.ahiida.com/

    I would go to some yuppie specialty gardening store, where they have superfancynice pruning shears. Maybe WFM?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:28 AM

    Oooooh, watch that heat!
    I empathize...
    Melissa
    getting kind of sorry there will be no blogs from Mexico

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting!