Saturday, June 23, 2007

Remote controls from 1998

This was something I excavated yesterday. I forgot to take pictures until after it was a little too late. But I caught a few. All carved from Neutrogena soap during my last year at Oberlin. I made a little wood box for them, and they were all lined up on plexi and then the bottom of the box had a hole to let in light. That was the summer when I was listening to lots of Hello Nasty and The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill. Big surprise. I kept saying all year that Lauryn Hill saved my life.

I've been listening to a lot of Erasure, courtesy of Gili, and looking forward to a time when I'll actually get enough sleep (maybe tomorrow night?). I'm totally playing big sister, waiting to get the call so I can pick the kids up from the wedding reception. In the meantime, I watched the extra features of "Eternal Sunshine" b/c I can't bring myself to watch it again, but at the same time really want to see it, or have some connection with it. I also finished my meditation text and liked a lot of passages, though I didn't write them all down.
If we plant peaches, we're always going to get peaches. If we plant pears, we're always going to get pears. Karma works in just this way. If you plant nonvirtue - migewa - you get suffering. If you plant virtue - gewa - you get happiness. If we're using strong negative emotions to get what we want, and what we want is happiness, it's never going to work. Therefore we need to contemplate our intentions and actions. Contemplating samsara and karma strengthens our intention to point our life away from suffering and toward true happiness.

--Sakyong Mipham, Turning the Mind into an Ally

4 comments:

  1. So wise. I will try to plant peaches, metaphorically.

    I remember your Lauryn Hill days! What a time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The soap sculptures are great! How nice to find treasures from the past like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. diana8:46 AM

    reading your blog continually reminds me to examine my ways :)
    thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i also love your soap sculptures, they look like amber. back home the song Zion is our girl-circle's favorite tune.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting!