Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Peanut butter cups

Are we allowed to mail those overseas? I want to send some to a friend in Japan. I drew today for the first time in a long time. It felt nice to cozy up to the sketchbook again. I also made a treat that I mailed away - a variation on the same theme. It's headed west towards someone who reads this blog but should be too busy right now to be reading it. Maybe I should start another mail art thing where I send things to random people who read the blog.

I finally forced myself back onto the app trail, since I got a rejection letter today. The hope is that I get three apps out this week. The reality is that I will probably only get two out. One to Korea and one to Minnesota. I read yesterday that Finnish and Korean are related to the same family of languages. So fun! I'm also about to give up on Octavio Paz's The Labyrinth of Solitude b/c I need to get to my almost 800-pg reader on Mexico. But I loved his opening paragraph in "The Pachuco and Other Extremes":
All of us, at some moment, have had a vision of our existence as something unique, untransferable and very precious. This revelation almost always takes place during adolescence. Self-discovery is above all the realization that we are alone: it is the opening of an impalpable, transparent wall - that of our consciousness - between the world and ourselves. It is true that we sense our aloneness almost as soon as we are born, but children and adults can transcend their solitude and forget themselves in games or work. The adolescent, however, vacillates between infancy and youth, halting for a moment before the infinite richness of the world. He is astonished at the fact of his being, and this astonishment leads to reflection: as he leans over the river of his consciousness, he asks himself if the face that appears there, disfigured by the water, is his own. The singularity of his being, which is pure sensation in children, becomes a problem and a question.

8 comments:

  1. I think you can send them... they're sealed, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. terttu10:56 AM

    and Finnish and Estonian are very related, which means that...:):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ....that we're both MEXICAN!!! hahhaaaaa.

    i know!!! i wanted to call you as soon as i read that, to say, terttu, we're related! maybe korean really IS your first language!!! teehee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. and yes, of course i'd send sealed candy. if i opened it, it wouldn't exist b/c i would have eaten it by then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's a great quote.
    where in mexico?

    ReplyDelete
  6. michoacan is the state. we'll be further inland, an hour and a half or so from morelia, the city. we're apparently going to be in rural/foresty nowhere.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, you can send them. I think they'll melt on the way, though.

    Michoacan is supposed to be lovely. Morelia, too. I think that the Mexico residency will turn out to be a good thing--I have nothing but the best of feelings about it.

    You should make a space in your blog with upcoming Aimee travel plans and sightings for our easy reference.

    ReplyDelete
  8. remember, i tried that, kinda? but i don't want more stalker problems, so i have to be less public about exactly where i am exactly when. though i guess mexico will be less of an issue, b/c no one will be able to find me there.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting!