Saturday, May 19, 2007

Cranky

I got up early today to meet Jay in Queens before he flew back to Chicago. For once, it was nice to not be traveler. I got mixed up on the subway and was late, but we quickly found a place to eat, my favorite Vietnamese place in NY. After trekking to Astoria briefly, I got to SoHo late b/c of horrible subway service on every line to meet Ching-In at Gili's workplace, and Gili & her friend, too. Ching-In and I fought over which of us will be traveling more in the coming months, and I won: she is. I don't know why she's in denial about it. I'm only going ONE place this summer, and ONE place in the fall. In the meantime, I'm reading a depressing book, Blue Gold: The Fight to Stop the Corporate Theft of the World's Water, and trying to get off mailing lists to reduce paper waste. Ching-In and I walked to Poet's House so she could do research. I pulled out a volume of Basho haikus and promptly fell asleep on the book. When I woke up, I opened it to see which poem would catch my eye first:

SUMMER 1693

631
As Kyoriku sets off on the Kiso Road

emulate the heart
of a wayfarer:
pasania blossoms

1 comment:

  1. yea! there I am in Queens! And you were right, quick trip to lga from there.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting!