Tuesday, April 03, 2007

First day

This image has no relationship to my post (besides the fact that this is the woman who birthed me and I am still alive and blogging). I love this old snapshot of my mom. She claims it's from when she was a student in Korea, but I think it looks like New York. Mmm, maybe not, now that I'm looking at it again. I'm totally exhausted from my first day of my new full-time job. I spent seven hours sewing a really old, moldy, illustrated Bible in an Eastern European language. I'm not done, but I've gotten to the start of the New Testament, and am over 1,000 pages in. I feel strange and exposed being back in NYC, in springtime. It's a little too much for me to handle. I miss bundled-up winter and being allowed to be introverted. I don't like open season on harassment. But the big pro about being back is that unlike Chicago, where I fear bumping into at least four people I never want to see again in my life, there is only one here! Also, I work four blocks away from my sister (we had lunch today). Soon another friend will start working nearby, too. And, of course, I'm that much closer to Gili.

2 comments:

  1. Your mom looks like my mom from old pictures minus the whole korean/jewish difference. Is that like a required shot of the women of that generation? Must laugh while surrounded by birds.

    The Jews call it the Christian Bible, not the New Testament. This is a little hint to bring us closer together.

    So good that you're back!!! Oh no, what if you've passed on your worrisomeness to me what with my trip to the E.R.? Somehow, this is probably your fault.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the glamour shot. It's totally Korea.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting!