Thursday, February 08, 2007

Baptized in Japan

I made it!!! I am alive!!! I still cannot seem to find the apostrophe key on this Japanese keyboard!!!

The flying was pretty hellish and I ended up being awake for more than 24 hours in a row, which nearly killed me. I can't sleep very well on planes so I only got to nap twice, and napping for me means about 5-10 minutes. The movies were horrible. Gili would have started a protest b/c one was a girls love horses movie. I only watched one of the three and otherwise read tons of magazines, ate snacks, and squirmed around a lot.

It is soooo nice to be here w/old, old family friends and be far, far away from my life. I just checked email and it makes me not want to touch a computer until I get back. Last night, Mrs. Hirabe made us spaghetti and went out of her way to find American things like napkins and parmesean cheese. SO sweet, though all I want is Japanese food. We went to the 100 yen store, a department store, and a mall today. I cannot get over how amazing all the products here are. I don't ever want to acquire more clothing from America; I think it is the unhippest stuff on the planet.

I just took an amazing Japanese-style bath and am ready for dinner. We had udon for lunch; Cindy had really good fried mochi. That is all I want for the rest of my stay: noodes and mochi.

11 comments:

  1. i'm so happy you made it and that from the start of things everything is good and making you surounded by good things. wish i was there too with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you fly ANA? David said they were showing Flicka... He said that "Hula Girls" is really good, you should watch it on your return flight!!

    Eat LOTS OF FOOD for me and then describe it in detail! I hope you enjoy every single second over there. So happy you are blogging over there, apostrophes or not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey girl,

    i'm glad you're there safely! eat lots of yummy food for me & be glad you're not stuck in the arctic chill here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you go to the OI OI? You should check out some yarn stores while you're there, too.

    Have a great time in Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, my mom once made me a really amazing scarf from yarn she bought in Japan. Plus, you'll have something to do besides watch the horse movie on your flight back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. awww, yay for you being all relaxed and happy and having fun. enjoy every minute! and duh, you -have- to tell us all about the food~! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY!!! You made it! Awesome. Have fun. Eat some noodles for me. XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  8. ew, horse movies.
    i miss you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. please tell me you've been having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds lovely. I'm so excited that you finally made it. Have a great time relaxing and eating good food. You deserve it after all the chaos you've been dealing with.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are my missing compass!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting!