Friday, November 10, 2006

Unearthing myself again

I'm trying to sell my blue violin. I decided that I'm tired of having two violins and three cases (the third in New York. It's super fancy but so incredibly heavy that I can't carry it anymore. I begged my parents for it when I was in high school and was so proud of it, but now that I'm old and no longer think that the measure of a good musician is based on her case's sexiness, I can't deal. But I don't know what to do with it, so it's in mom's and dad's closet). We'll see if anyone wants it. I went downstairs today to Tam's storage unit and balked at all my crap. I brought a bunch upstairs and left a bunch downstairs. These are the categories left to sort: what goes to NY, what stays in Chicago in hopes of eventually traveling to a real HOME (aka stuff to set up a household), and what stays on my back.

It's horrific. I wish I could be ONE kind of person, but I'm not. I can do the artist thing, wearing the same cut up clothes every day, but there has always been a city girl who likes to be unwrinkled, clean, and sparkly. This requires two wardrobes and various other accessories. My new idea is to not buy any more clothes for the rest of my life. This won't be hard, since I barely do it in the first place, and am supplied on a regular basis by friends and family. When I first moved to Chicago, I still had strong urges for specific pieces of clothing (like black velvet jackets) that I would hunt for, but never find. But I don't have those urges anymore. All I want to do is get rid of what I already have.

Okay. Time to run a few errands before I lose energy and then spend the rest of the day sorting this mess.

1 comment:

  1. ellie1:37 PM

    urg i just missed you call again!!!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting!