Thursday, November 16, 2006

No farm = no pictures

I have no interest in taking pictures now that I'm not on the farm/not making art. That should hopefully change soon (the hope being that I start making art once I get settled in NY). I actually got home tonight before Tam! Which is good; I needed an earlier night in and don't have to worry about waking her up. Jill took me out to dinner at Handlebar and my gut is still hanging out. YUM. It was good to catch up; I feel like we've both been growing a lot since graduating in May, and I got to process some things w/her that I hadn't in a while. On the way back home, I stopped into Niche b/c my boot is still giving me a hard time; I can barely walk b/c the right side digs into my heel. The store manager sat on the floor taking pictures of my boots and I'm going to bring them in again, which means I won't have them again for a while. Good thing that I have two other pairs I sent to NY, and that I won't need any kind of fancy footwear in Vermont.

I just had a slight panic attack about where I put my passport. I KNOW I put it aside to take with me, but I just don't know where. I better find it before I fly out on Monday. OH!!! Wait, I'm having a flashback to putting it into a blue sandwich tupperware container along w/business cards. I think I shipped it home.

Today was another functioning-on-not-enough-sleep day. I got up, cooked rice & lentils and broccoli, took a shower, tried to get a scary scammer off of my back, and other exciting morning chores. I got to school and picked up stuff from the gallery that didn't get put into the show and then made a bunch of paper after beating two loads of pulp. Much nicer paper this time. I realized that I've been doing quick and dirty papermaking for three years, and only now am I understanding that if I just slow down a little and pay more attention, I can make much better sheets in the same amount of time. That patience lesson is hard for me to learn. Instead of being stubborn and not using formation aid (a gooey substance that makes your sheets more even), and not doing things that I know work, I just took the time to do everything right. It was nice. That gave me time to think about my new theory: that the dominant culture (usually men, usually white) projects "docile" and "delicate" onto other people b/c they are so scared of that inside themselves. Same exact theory as men who are scared of their own homosexual tendencies having massive homophobia.

Andrea and I had a good talk about what I got out of being on the farm (cultivating confidence in myself and my work, finding out that I do want to learn how to teach, being okay w/putting value on my work, knowing that I can make work anywhere w/whatever is at my disposal) and she said she feels like I'm going to be an artist like David Byrne. Except I don't have the whole successful music career bit. Then I went to see Terttu and meet her boss to talk about website design stuff in the digital lab, which is where Jill found me. We got to ride the bus and sat in front of someone I met when I first moved to Chicago, but we didn't acknowledge each other. It's strange; I've seen him a LOT in the streets and on public transport, but I just never say hi.

I saw a lot more cute boys today that usual. Eye candy is always fun. I'm getting a little stressed about how much I still need to pack and organize before I take off, but I think I'm just going to bed now. Oh - someone tell me what a chalk line is, please.

4 comments:

  1. ellie8:47 AM

    chalk line is an erick hawkins term/movement principle: It is a line that is on the floor that splits your body in half (as if you were on a balance beam or a tight rope). it helps the dancer when she does a tandu align her leg straight infront of her or straight behind her. Many dancers do this movment "in front" of them selves but not on the chalk line. This is a building block for lifting the leg. Because of gravity, if the leg (in the lifted position), is not on the chalk line the leg is VERY difficult to hold. If it is on the chalk line the effort and contraction of the muscles is less and the movement can be more realistically attained.
    the chalk line also relates to the central axis running down the center of the body like the spine. thus the chalk line and the central axis are perpendicular to eachother if you are viewing a body from the side.

    maybe i could have a julia childs show but about erick hawkins terms????

    love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (of course, for the less artistic among us, it's also a method for making a straight guide-line to use in home improvement projects, a non-toxic way to prevent insect infestation, and the traditional method of preserving the place where a victim fell at a crime scene . . . but ellie's answer is almost certainly more what you had in mind!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. TOO funny!!! i was actually looking for gail's answer, in more detail (something about a line and snapping it and chalk...) - my papermaking teacher from grad school recommended that i get one to draw with. but i LOVE that it's also from hawkins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so surprised that you said you needed a patience lesson, because come on! You're making handmade paper! That's already a patience (the beating, the drying...) exercise in itself! So maybe this is just you earning your "black-belt" in patience.

    I think I saw a chalk line on a home improvement show once- you take this string that is coated in chalk powder, and you stretch it between the two points that you need to make a line between. Once it is tight, you pluck it, and snaps against the surface you need to draw a straight line on, leaving a line drawn in chalk.

    P.S. I miss the farm too.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting!