Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Complicit laughter

I am in love with my experience here. As much as I wonder how the hell I'm going to pull off another performance or six (yeah - I have to do repeat performances each day) in a few days, I'm feeling good about rolling along. I kill a lot of time over on the other side of campus, doing things like looking up "seismograph" as Shawn looks up "tectonic" (or maybe he was looking up the same word but in the wrong place). He's been doing more work on the inflatable now that he got all his stuff from H--- D----. Both he and Chela got new work gloves, which I am coveting. That'll have to go on my Christmas wish list.

I like living w/artists over time so that we can start conversations one day, and then continue them over time as we keep mulling over arguments. I got up today and dyed all the rest of my paper in walnut dye, de-husked walnuts (to my horror, what I thought might be maggots really were. But then I remembered that I cooked them for about 7 hours, so they at least were dead. Still gross), scrubbed them, and baked them. I have 108. The paper is a beautiful deep brown. Apparently it's different depending on the tree and the soil, color-wise. Smelled good.

I also am bleeding more heavily than I ever have in my life. I felt like my internal and external processes were all the same this morning, as I got thick walnut dye ALL over my studio. Big mess. That's why I decided to wear all red today; to celebrate. I keep eating the carrot cake I took to the house. Now I want to make veggie maki. But that project has to wait until after the weekend. I printed tonight: 153 maps and 10 signs. It was fun. The C&P (the platen press) had its foot pedal taken out, so it's kind of strange having it running on electricity. But it works beautifully.

Apparently the newspaper dude is coming tomorrow to interview us for the harvest. Uhoh. You know what that means: I have to have a good yarn to tell about what I'm going to do this weekend, have it be interesting, but also vague enough that I can do something totally different. Hopefully I'll have all my maps done by then. The beeswax is on its way, as is the bin I will bury as my treasure chest (I'm kind of tempted to jump in the hole w/someone else to take pictures, but we'll see how I feel tomorrow).

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for visiting!