Sunday, September 10, 2006

Something I've never done

I got five more books from downstairs to fuel my reading fit here. Sue Halpern's Migrations to Solitude: The Quest for Privacy in a Crowded World is particularly apt now. This morning, I marveled at how I woke up early even after staying up late to make three comic books, marveled at the end of the rain and the current high humidity that keeps it warm, marveled at my ability to come up with good standing yoga sequences, and did not marvel at my inability to meditate b/c of a big spider nor my dirty state (need to wash myself & clothing).

What I've figured out today: I love sustenance from water; I really need to live near large bodies of water, preferably salty.

A camper at Camp Chinqueka a long time ago asked me what my favorite color was and I said red. In college, I was obsessed with ultramarine blue. I hate when people ask "what's your favorite _____?" As judgmental as I am, I don't like having to rank everything in my life (food, color, books, movies, crap, crap, crap) so that other people can decide how to think about me. Doesn't anyone know that these things change all the freaking time? Who has time to figure out favorites every day??

I get this question a lot, that I can never properly answer: what kind of music do you listen to? And I'm a musician. I don't know how to do it. I now am always very self-deprecating and say it's all mainstream stuff, lotsa pop. I think it's a stupid question, too. However, I've suddenly decided (over seaweed floating abundantly in my veggie soup, an eyeball floating in a spoonful of broth), to take inventory. You can stop reading now, b/c what follows is a list that I can now have a link to whenever people ask me that awful question.

Artists/Performers/etc. (but not the ones on my mix tapes b/c they're not on my computer)
A Tribe Called Quest
Aaliyah
[Aimee Lee]
Arvo Part
Astrud Gilberto
Beastie Boys
Beatles
Beck
Billie Holiday
Billy Bragg & Wilco
Bjork
Bob Marley
Bobby McFerrin
[Breaks]
Buena Vista Social Club
Caetano Veloso
Charlie Haden
Coldplay
D'Angelo
Ella Fitzgerald
Emmylou Harris
Ernst Reijseger
Erykah Badu
Eskobar
Far East Side Band
Fiona Apple
Fugees
Ghostface Killah
Gil Shaham
[Hawaiian mix]
Heather Nova
Itzhak Perlman
Iva Bittova
Jill Scott
Jimi Hendrix
Joao Gilberto
John Coltrane
Joni Mitchell
Josh Ritter
Justin Timberlake
Kent
Kronos Quartet
Lauryn Hill
Lou Harrison
Lucinda Williams
Lyle Lovett
Madonna
Manu Chao
Marvin Gaye
Mary J. Blige
Maxwell
Mazzy Star
McCoy Tyner
Me'shell Ndegeocello
Miles Davis
Missy Elliott
Morcheeba
Ms. Dynamite
Nat King Cole
No Doubt
Outkast
Pete Yorn
PJ Harvey
Police
Radiohead
Rahsaan Roland Kirk
Ronny Cabarrocas
Rotts
Ry Cooder & Manuel Galban
Sade
Sarah Vaughan
Stan Getz
Streets
Stuff Smith
Sundays
Susana Baca
Thelonious Monk
TLC
Tokyo String quartet
U2
Verve
Wilco
Wyclef Jean
Yo-Yo- Ma
Zap Mama

Singles only:
Alexi Murdoch
Babyface
Be Good Tanyas
Beth Orton
Brian Eno
Camera Obscura
Candi Staton
Carpenters
Cat Power
Cowboy Junkies
Death Cab for Cutie
Eurythmics
George Jackson
Gillian Welch
Iron & Wine
Kimya Dawson
Ladytron
Magnetic Fields
Mary Lou Lord
Mirah
Nanci Griffith
Nick Drake
Nico
Patti Smith
Patty Griffin
Pretenders
Ray LaMontagne
Regina Spektor
Sarah Harmer
Smiths
Sufjan Stevens
Talking Heads

The impossible list: mostly classical
Missing: a bunch of artists, actual pieces, and alpha order
Cesar Franck
Serge Prokofiev
Antonin Dvorak
Johann Sebastian Bach
Antonio Vivaldi
Johannes Brahms
Carl Orff
Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy
Robert Schumann
Edvard Grig
Peter Ilyitch Tchaikovsky
George Gershwin
Samuel Barber
Leonard Bernstein
Dawn Upshaw
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Niccolo Paganini
Midori
Sarah Chang
Franz Schubert
Mitsuko Uchida
Bela Bartok
Emerson String Quartet
Kim Kashkashian
Benjamin Britten
Franz Liszt
Henri Vieuxtemps
Ralph Vaughan Williams
Ludwig Van Beethoven
Charles Ives
Gustav Mahler
Dmitri Shostakovitch
Nadja Salernoj-Sonnenberg
Claude Debussy
Cecile Licad
Edouard Lalo
Glenn Gould
Richard Wagner
Frederic Chopin
Maurice Ravel
Camille Saint-Saens
Zoltan Kodaly
Janos Starker
Josef Gingold
Aaron Copland
Joshua Bell
David Oistrakh
Igor Stravinsky
Jascha Heifetz
Gidon Kremer
Philip Glass
Cambridge Singers
Robert Shaw Festival Singers
Sergei Rachmaninoff
Alexander Borodin
Alfred Schnittke
Jean Sibelius
Ernest Chausson
Alexander Glazounov
Giuseppe Tartini
Luigi Boccherini

4 comments:

  1. a. i feel so influential.
    b. who is gil shaham?
    c. ah, ravel! i was obsessed with (of course) bolero at interlochen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a. you should! i forgot to credit you on this post, as i should have. you and my little sister are like that. she made me LOTS of great mixes. and dubs from her old college radio shows.

    b. he should have been on the classical list, but who cares. gil shaham is an AMAZING and fun and nice violinist. oh, famous.

    c. i still can't believe you are an interlochen alum. i used to fantasize about going there in the summers but never was good enough. it's like people who go there are gods or something, b/c it seemed so unattainable.

    d. i'm STILL listening!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Umm, hello? Yes, you need some level of talent to go to Interlochen Summer camp, and most of the campers there are amazing, but I am living proof that a large part of it comes down to .... being able to pay tuition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ellen! you ARE amazing. YOU are amazing! of course you went there b/c you had talent.

    i had only a little talent and definitely could not pay tuition. so i knew i couldn't go. but that's okay, b/c i get to know people like you and gili! that's a much option better to me.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting!