Monday, September 18, 2006

The harvest is on

Okay, so Blogger won't let me SHOW you, but I'll post the pics later, somehow. I got up this morning earlier than usual, did my yoga, and then struck out into the new fall cold: I dropped off mail art in the box, picked more mint and found sage, dumped my compost, picked up buckets from Pig Pottery (so I can make paper), dug for potatoes, got a batch of fresh green beans and dried ones, picked a few tiny florets of broccoli, and picked a bucket of apples. I also steamed my milkweed for an hour after chopping the stalks down to 12" pieces and then almost lost my fingers (especially my right thumb) pulling off all of the outer bast layer. That took a long time, and I still need to scrape out the core - what's left will be the inner bast layer, which is super tough but will make great paper. It smells like artichokes! Yum. I also shelled lots of beans and scrubbed potatoes.

Breakfast: two boiled apples w/an old tea bag for flavor & parilla seeds; apple juice (leftover water from the pot) to wash down my vitamins.

Lunch: three slices potatoes, sage, green beans, broccoli, garlic & onion & olive oil (those three were the only things besides black/cayenne pepper that were NOT from the garden).

Pre-dinner snack: hot apple cobbler/crisp (sliced apples, water, vanilla, ginger root, allspice, cinnamon, cloves, brown sugar, flour, baking powder, crisco, cornstarch) garnished w/fresh mint.

Now I'm off to Lincoln to see Julie for the first time in about ten years! Wohooo! Now I understand why farmers work so hard and never sleep. EVERYTHING takes sooooo long! It's so worth it, but I can also see why a lot of people didn't think it was worth it. I haven't really done much art-wise at all today (I mean, besides the grueling paper prep) b/c I just didn't have time. But lucky for Julie, I did take a shower (which might not seem like a big deal, but it is in this kind of cold). Jami was helping me search for potatoes, and was like, "I love the fall Aimee!" It's true; I'm finally able to go outside and do things now that it's cold enough for the bugs to stay away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for visiting!