Monday, May 01, 2006

Sad, sad news

I had forgotten also to say that I accepted the Nebraska residency.

But then just heard sad news: one of our faculty members, Michael Piazza, just died yesterday from a heart attack. Only 50 years old! He was one of the first people I met in the program, even before I applied, when he was in NYC w/the past chair. We had breakfast in February 2003. I wanted to take his class last semester but didn't get to, and am sad I never got to work with him. But sadder still that he passed so soon, and for that awful reason we know so well in this horribly-administered and legislated country: no health insurance. As I enter my last month of being insured!

Over and over in the past few days, I have been learning from either being smacked hard with the physical reality or through subtle ways (as I watch my paper rip or tear), how fragile life is. How fragile everything is! And how strong, as well, like death.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for visiting!