Thursday, February 23, 2006

Back to bricks...

WOW. I had a panic attack last night and my yogi man called me right at the end of my food binge. There's just so much work to be done...but the good news is that I started my wall tests! And it looks great! I was behind the wall this afternoon after making two trips to the art supply store for double-sided tape (the first roll wasn't sticky enough). I stopped at 11 rows b/c it started to sag/sway and b/c I wanted to be able to clear it w/my legs. It's working! My advisor was SO happy today at our meeting, and really excited for how it will turn out. It's nice to feel like someone who has seen me thru the program is genuinely proud of me. She couldn't stop smiling.

This is from the inside, which gives a little sense of how translucent it is, so that light comes right through. You can see the backs of all the bricks (where I pulled out the molds), and the little straps (Ami calls them overalls) are extra pieces that I use as restraints: when it's all wet paper, I put two straps on to keep the paper from shrinking and pulling off the mold. It works remarkably well.

I made 114 bricks today and was the human exhibit for two big tours that came thru school this a.m. I'm completely fried, but managed to set type, go to the library for research and a heavy William Blake book, do some quick reading, eat a ton, have Ami tell me to scrap almost all the type I set, and print the last bit of my broadside from last last weekend's class. I did have to cancel my date, which made me feel guilty, but at least I'm feeling a little more at ease about getting caught up w/my work.

Now I need to sleep. I can't get much lately...I keep waking at 7:30, 7:45 no matter when I go to bed. Making a broadside about the negative effects of sleep depravation doesn't make it any better (it's great to know that I'm just getting fat, stupid, and screwing w/my cortisol levels and blood pressure). I think I'll go to bed even though I haven't written my thesis paper or press release for tomorrow. I promise I'll try to take it easier (though I'd like to make more paper...).

4 comments:

  1. The wall is beautiful. I'm so glad that the bricks are behaving themselves.

    Don't worry about panicked food binges. I think they are safer than, say, narcotics addiction. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the good thing is that i've gotten to the point where i don't go CRAZY - it's kind of like a controlled binge (only *I* would do something like that). i need the space to lose control (thus the binge) but will stop myself after two wasa crackers, a veggy cheese single, a little bit of salsa, and a few fingerfuls of granola.

    so, yes, i AM grateful that my addictions are what they are. i don't think i could handle anything more than food, people, and mind fucks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, the bricks are so beautiful! They seem to glow from within... just like the artist.

    My grandpa used to always say at the all-you-can-eat buffet: "Take what you like, eat what you take."

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my god I LOVE the wall!! i had no idea they would be different shades of colors! i love it! i can't wait to see it when it is done. i don't quite get how the light will filter through... but i'm sure i'll get it as it goes on. good job! it is beaitufiul... as laways even if you are making a wall of bricks you make it beaitufiuly. you are a true artist in your blood heart.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting!