Saturday, October 29, 2005

old lady



Ah. Human Exhibit is over, and went quite well. I think...I'll get feedback next week from people I know who went. I kissed lots of people on the cheek (one guy was really tall and I didn't shoot high enough so that was more like a jawline kiss. I hope he didn't feel cheated). One woman on the lips, one man on the lips, a forehead or two, a few hands, and a shoulder. I also ate WAY TOO MUCH JUNK FOOD in our makeshift green room. I got really sick from that. Ew. So I'm excited to get back to eating better. And to "focusing" on my work. Though I'm starting to ringlead again and try to get our grad students more vocal about what's not cool in the program...I think about what Shawn said to me last year: "now Aimee, remember that leadership is not chosen, it's granted."

Anyhow, in the end, it was really lovely to work with the people in the workshop; everyone stepped up and really made it work, which was so delightful to experience: commitment to a shared cause. How great are our costumes? Tyvek rocks. I love that AJ thought I was at least six years younger than I am. Ah, the joys of a chingychong life.

After gathering about a million props, talking to Greg about how he ripped half his thumbnail off at the end of the show and started to bleed profusely, and eating disgusting amounts of goldfish, mini carrot cake cupcakes, chocolate chip cookies, and pita chips with hummus, (oh, and experiencing Greg's trunk prop thing on his car totally poop out), I got a ride home and had one of the best conversations I've had in a while. It's soooo good to meet great Obies. And just really human humans. I also find that my best talks are with people driving me home and doing the routine: stop, park, idle, idle, idle, idle, finally shut off the engine. I always feel extremely bad about the idling (even though I know my ecological footprint is still horrendously large...I get nervous about long-idling cars and reading for too long with my glasses on - since they're for distance, not close-up things). But the conversation is always stellar. And on a mild autumn evening! Good times.

I also had a good yoga class despite being extremely distracted by the energy of the guy who walked in late and set up next to me on my right side. It's always so interesting to see how people handle their first Forrest class. I asked to do backbends b/c I hadn't had a really screamingly hard class in a while, and bridge will do it for me instantly. I was so...I don't even know what in camel pose that I couldn't help but vocalize whenever I breathed. I sounded like someone dying. Awfully embarrassing, but my teacher (who is fantastic! Massive props to Dearbhla Kelly! Look her up at http://www.mokshayoga.com/community/dearbhlakelly.html) still adjusted me. I got the face tingles, which I love. Means that stuff is really going on. So the next steps are looking for good meditation instruction and finding a shaman/someone to work through trauma with ritual, on a spiritual level.

ps - I asked Clif yesterday if, despite all my intense disgruntledness with grad school, I still look better than I did when I was working in NYC. He said, "you're whole EVERYTHING is better. Frankly, you kind of looked like a junkie back in NY." HAHAHA!!!! I love it. It's good to get affirmation once in a while that I'm on a healthy path. I talked to my sister about it, and she was like, but aren't you good at arts admin? [what I was doing in NY] and I was like, well, Hitler was good at what he did, but does that mean he should have done it? I clearly am better off for the time being not doing admin work in the arts.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah Obies!
    Yeah yoga!
    Yeah yeah yeah junk food!

    :)

    Yes, I'm an Obie, too. I met Ellen when we lived together in Baldwin for two years. She's been my idol ever since. I usually fear Koreans, but if you're friends with Ellen, then that's another story. I saw your picture, but don't recognize you. Were you a dancer?

    Your vitamin/port-a-potty comment was very disturbing... I will definitely keep looking for those elusive fresh veggies.

    I get what you're saying about being a snob and wanting to hate NYC. I felt the same way when I was growing up in LA. Now I have a real appreciation for my hometown, even though I don't want to live there anymore. We all grow and change...

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting!